CHOOSING AN INSTRUCTOR
This page contains information of the Compulsory Basic Training (CBT) test, what the CBT test includes and how to choose an instructor.
Click on the buttons below to find out more.
The aim of the CBT course is to make sure you have the skills, knowledge and understanding to go out on the road, on your own. It is also designed to help you prepare for a full motorcycle test if you choose to take one.
CBT motorcycle training is a legally mandated basic training program that is required for learner riders to ride unaccompanied on the road. While a certificate of competence will be issued for satisfactory completion of the course, it is important to note that CBT may not always be completed in a single day.
There are five elements included in your CBT which are delivered in a classroom environment, on a training area, and on the public highway.
To read more about the CBT Syllabus, click the link below:
Also, ensure that you have received the correct amount of on-road training which is a minimum of 2 hours.
If you want more information about the CBT course, click on the link below:
The best place to find a training school is to search the Government website. Click on the link below to start your search:
For those in Northern Ireland, visit the following website:
Not all training schools offer the same service or quality of training. The enjoyment of your learning experience will rely heavily on the instructor’s abilities and the type of motorcycles that are offered for training.
Some key questions to ask your training school:
- Do you offer Ride free CBT’s?
- How old is the motorcycle I will be trained on?
- What type of motorcycle will I be trained on (manual, automatic)?
- What happens if I accidently damage the motorcycle during the CBT? (Some instructors have policy that you must pay for any damage)
- Do you offer ‘Collision damage waiver’ insurance? (This is an insurance that means if you damage the motorcycle or scooter during your training, you will not have to pay for the repairs)
- Do you provide protective equipment (helmet, jacket, gloves etc)?
- How many learners will be in my group? (There should be no more than 2 learners with the instructor whilst on the road)
- How long will the road ride be?
- How much do you charge for a CBT?
- Does the charge include hire of the bike and use of gear?
- Does the charge include any further training to meet the required standard? If not, how much do you charge for this training?
If you have the time or are local to a training school, it is always best to visit so you can get a feel for the facilities and the training area you will be using. Ask yourself:
- Are the motorcycles in good condition?
- Are the training team welcoming and professional?