Spring has Sprung
Riding season is well and truly upon us! 😍
The nights are getting lighter and the days warmer. Happy days!
But for young riders, the change in season comes with a set a new challenges on the road.
Check out our spring riding infographics and tips (click on the images to bring up the full size versions available for download):
❌ DO. NOT. RIDE. AFTER. TAKING. DRUGS. ❌
Not only is it extremely unsafe, but it’s illegal if either:
- you’re unfit to ride because you’re on legal or illegal drugs
- you have certain levels of illegal drugs in your blood (even if they have not affected your riding)
The police can stop you and make you do a ‘field impairment assessment’ if they think you’re on drugs. This is a series of tests, for example asking you to walk in a straight line. They can also use a roadside drug kit to screen for cannabis and cocaine.
If they think you’re unfit to drive because of taking drugs, you’ll be arrested and will have to take a blood or urine test at a police station.
You could be charged with a crime if the test shows you’ve taken drugs.
🤯 Avoid ‘brain ache’ 🤯
Always wear your helmet AND make sure to fasten it properly ❗
You must wear a safety helmet that meets British Safety Standards with the chin strap fasten when riding a motorcycle or moped on the road.
Never buy a second-hand helmet - it will have moulded itself to someone else's head It may look fine, but it is not always possible to spot damage from drops and crashes.
- Your crash helmet should fit snugly without restricting your movement.
- Always try a helmet on for size before buying it and ask your retailer to check that it fits properly.
- Once you have your helmet be sure to wear it properly. It won't protect you if you fail to fasten the chin strap - and you could get three points on your licence if the police spot you riding about like that.
The Highway Code contains road signs you NEED to know.
Register with Ridefree to learn more and become a better, more confident rider 😎
What have you got to lose (and it’s free)!
Ridefree is an award-winning enhancement to compulsory basic training (CBT), consisting of pre-course eLearning modules. Its aim is to help you prepare for your CBT and riding on the road.
How can it help me?
CBT should be an enjoyable experience. But there’s a lot to learn, and it’s normal to feel anxious about your first bike ride. The good news is that Ridefree will help you become a better and more confident rider by:
- increasing your knowledge of riding skills and behaviour
- giving you more time to focus on learning the practical skills
- linking the eLearning to the practical skills.
It’s time for a spring clean! ✅
Make sure your bike is ready for the road through a series of simple maintenance checks 👨🔧
Carrying out a few simple checks before each ride could save your life. Use POWDERS: